Takeaway: Twitter went from 60 second of Garbage Collection (GC) per hour to 5 seconds per 3.5 days, mainly because of the internal slab allocator.
Presentation slides here.
- Garbage collector (GC)
- in process locking and thread scheduling
- application inefficient algorithms
- Memory tuning (footprint, allocation rate, garbage collector rate)
- Lock contention
- Maybe you just use too much data!
- Maybe your data representation is fat! (bad data model)
- Maybe you have a memory leak (not covered in remaining presentation)